It’s that time of year again! And while most kids aren’t going to be all that thrilled about the news, parents everywhere are starting their preparations for next month’s beginning of the school year. The “back to school” season is also one when business owners all across Canada become very busy. At least, they should be! There are many ways to get your business prepared for this important yearly event.
You may be thinking that your particular business doesn’t have anything to do with going back to school. But you couldn’t be more wrong. When children go back to school, it changes the daily lives of their parents. So if your business serves moms and dads (how many don’t?), it will be important to find ways to make the transition from summer vacation to the start of school a delightful one.
No matter what type of business you run, preparing your store for “back to school” is important. This time of year is often considered to be the second biggest spending period behind the end-of-year holiday season. So what can you do to encourage more customers to come into your store? One thing is for sure, you’ll want to make certain that you’re accepting credit and debit cards with top-notch POS terminals to make the shopping experiences easier. But we’ll get back to that shortly. Here are five ways to take advantage of “back to school” season.
1. Stock up on inventory. During this time of year, you’ll definitely want to make sure that you don’t run out of items that are highly sought after during the “back to school” rush. If you sell clothing, books and supplies, electronic devices and other accessories, be sure that you have enough in stock for the rush of shoppers who should be coming your way. You don’t want to run out of your most important items!
2. Advertise. There’s nothing like promoting a good old “back to school” sale to encourage both parents and students alike to visit your store. It’s a good idea to utilize your website to communicate that you’re offering special savings and discounts on select items. Naturally, the more people you encourage to walk through your doors, the more opportunities you have to sell them more of your items.
3. Offer discounts. Did we mention this one already? We hope you were paying attention! Your competition will undoubtedly be making a play for customers who are interested in saving money during the “back to school” shopping season. Make it more attractive for customers who are interested in your products and services to visit you over your competitors. Bundling particular items that are school-related is a good bet as well.
4. Be creative. As mentioned, you may not necessarily sell school-related items. But can you help shoppers along in the whole “back to school” process? Consider that it can be a stressful time for some people. Can your spa offer a discount to parents and teachers? Can your restaurant prepare specific meals that are special for students? The possibilities are endless if you just get creative with your “back to school” promotional ideas.
5. Accept plastic. As we also mentioned earlier, accepting credit and debit cards will play a huge role in how successful your business is in taking advantage of the “back to school” shopping season. Plastic acceptance makes life so much easier for shoppers for a variety of reasons. It’s important, however, to use a top-notch POS machine to make the payment process that much easier. Contact Canadian POS Corporation at 1-877-748-2884 to upgrade your terminal today!